Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Our crazy moving weekend!

Today I have a very long (that is, longer than usual) post to document our wild and crazy weekend. It all began with moving to our new apartment; a very long and difficult process, since our apartment is on the third floor, and there is no elevator. Ryan and a couple of neighborhood boys (friends of the Kazas) did the majority of the heavy lifting and maneuvering of the furniture up the flights of stairs. I offered moral support. Somehow, it all got done in time for us to watch the ND game, which David and his dad attended. It was a great time, not only because of the game, but because my brother Luke came over to visit. I included a picture I took of him with our nephew Peter. But first, here is Ryan with the girls, yet again: Isn't it pretty wild to see Luke as a seminarian?!
Saturday night, our first night in the apartment, did not go as perfectly as we had planned it; Macy's decided to deliver our mattress at a different time then they told us they would. So, since we weren't at the apartment when they randomly showed up, they took the mattress back to the warehouse-- in Maryland! Ryan and I were without our new mattress and we were dead tired...not a recipe for success. Here is a picture of Ryan after our trip to Walmart to buy and air matress (by this time the fireballs had stopped shooting out of his eyes and he stopped cursing the name of Macy's): Here is our lovely air mattress (complete with an IKEA quilt cover):The rest of the pictures are from Sunday; leaving for Mass we took a picture in front of our door, #301. I'm pointing to where it says "Tompkins" on it :)
My sister Tabitha took a picture of us when we stopped by her house to get the girls:
We had Mary and Teresa (the oldest 2 of my sister's kids) for the rest of the day, to hang out before we all went to a Switchfoot concert at night. As we were leaving, Tabitha pulled me aside to tell me she might be going into labor that day. A seasoned veteran, she was noticing little hints that the baby would be coming soon. It was a good thing she gave me the heads up, as you will see... :) At our apartment, we had Teresa take a picture of us in our itty-bitty kitchen:
Here's our bathroom:

Here we are; we are very happy with our new place!
Ryan treated us girls out to Coldstone...spoiled brats, I know.
Ryan with Mary and Teresa as we were waiting to get into the Nissan Pavilion.
Here's a picture of the group of us during the Switchfoot concert. While we were getting towards the end of the show, I got a call from Tabitha who told me she would be having the baby soon.. I told the girls and we left as soon as we packed up our blankets and snacks!
Sure enough, at 11:45 at night, right after I had tucked Ryan in bed (thank goodness), Tabitha had her baby. She had the baby at home, and let's just say she was very uninhibited during labor because of it. It was an amazing experience for me; I was with Tabitha right up until the pushing part of the labor, then left so she and Babu could have some privacy. I waited in the hallway praying the rosary, and a few minutes (and a lot of screams) later, I heard the baby's first cry. His name is Simon Paul Kaza, and he is gorgeous and healthy. What was most amazing to me was that after that first cry, Simon didn't cry at all. He was just very happy and content, because he got to stay with Mommy the whole time, recieving a lot of loving care. So now I have a little newborn to squeeze, and after work I have been going to the Kaza's to clean, do laundry, and cook dinner for the kids so Tabitha and the baby can rest. Because of this, the apartment has remained an unorganized mess, and I'm too emberassed to take pictures just yet. They will come soon though!
Simon is a really special baby; he was born "in the caul"-- in an intact amniotic sac-- and the midwife told me this is very rare and is considered a sign of a "blessed baby." He was born on the feast of the Triumphant Cross (how cool is that?) and in addition to all that, guess who Tabitha and Babu asked to be his Godfather? That's right, Ryan! Here is Ryan with his new Godson:So that about sums up our whirlwind weekend. Yesterday my mom and dad arrived with the 3 youngest, so my mom can take care of Tabitha full time for about a week or so. We will be having another ND game bash at the Kaza home on Saturday, which is when we should be getting our mattress finally as well. So, it promises to be a good time. Marisa and David, you have a lot to look forward to!! So many times when Ryan and I have held Simon, we have thought out loud; Marisa and David are so lucky, they must be so excited! We can't wait until it's our turn as well :) Of course, we will be sure to let you all know as soon as the news breaks (God willing). In the meantime, we send our love and can't wait to see you all soon! Love, Mary and Ryan

1 comment:

Marisa said...

Aww, congratulations on your new little nephew! He is beautiful! I am so glad Tabitha had a healthy labor and delivery! Give our love and best wishes to the family!

Wow, a crazy moving weekend! David and I can definitely sympathize with you guys as we also live on the third floor and have no elevators! Our new place thankfully has elevators.....we will be living on the fifth floor.

Your place looks so cute! I am sure you will be glad when it is all unpacked. Don't worry though, the whole decorating and completely unpacking process takes a while. :) It took us about a year, and now we are moving again! lol.

Well I can't wait to hear the next update! We love you guys and hope everything is running smoothly.