Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The Latest

Hi everyone, here is the latest from the Mary and Ryan adventure here in VA. It's been an eventful couple of weeks since we last posted an update. I'll try to make this update quick, with a few pictures, of course :)
Last weekend, I went to my sister Tabitha's baby shower with all of her closest friends, at a really cute "tea room" in historic Occoquan, VA. They are a great group; all of them are so interesting, intelligent, and so in love with their Catholic faith! They come from such completely different backgrounds and places, which makes for great conversation. From left to right: Tabitha (due with her 7th), Kristin (expecting #5. Her husband is good friends with my Ave Literature professor, Dr. Curtright. He was in their wedding, actually. I've been able to get a lot of dirt on him from her and her husband Pablo, who Ryan has become friends with), Hilary (5 kids, she is a psychiatrist. Marisa, she reminds me of you because she's so petite, plus she's super stylish), Me (hoping for at least a dozen kids), Christine (4 kids), Anne (expecting #5), and Kelly (adopted oldest son, then a girl, and a boy named Ryan. Kelly is a lawyer who graduated from Harvard, I believe. She worked for Brownback's campaign and on the same day he promoted her to his Chief of Staff, she got a call that her first son was born and available to be adopted. She quit the job to stay at home with him!). Like I said, they are an amazing group of women. A sister picture. When I am out with Tabitha people often think that I am older than she is! That's how young she looks, even after 6 kids.
That evening, Ryan and I went to an outdoor concert at the Nissan Center in Bristow, VA. We saw Maroon 5 with the Counting Crows. Tabitha took a picture before we left:
Here is Ryan enjoying his Heineken during the opening act, Sarah Bareillas. Since Counting Crows is one of my favorite bands in the world, and Ryan doesn't exactly, um, care for them much, I felt bad making him come to the concert. So I kind of used beer as a bribe to sweeten the deal. It worked.
Here is a picture while the sun was setting. The concert went well into the night and we (I) loved it!!
One night Tabitha was out late at her Book Club, and Babu had to study for a test for the Marines, one of many that he needs to pass in order to be up for promotion to Major. So Ryan and I babysat the kids; here is Ryan reading the kids a bedtime story.Another day, Tabitha and I simultaneously had a craving for Five Guys french fries, and so we piled the kids into the car for a lunch out. Here's the gang (plus some neighborhood kids who practically live at the Kaza house).
Here are some more Unlce Ryan moments caught on camera.
Notice how Catherine clutches his hand even while she's watching TV:
The next picture of the hair do the girls gave Ryan inspired me to give Ryan another haircut.
And finally, here is a picture I managed to get of Ryan yesterday when I picked him up from work. That's his office building behind him, and isn't it so cute the way he's holding the grapes I packed for his lunch? So there's the picture update. The most exciting news, however, I have saved for last. Ryan and I are very happy to say that we have found our apartment! After many weeks of searching, we had it narrowed down to 2 apartments in 2 different apartment complexes in the same prime location. This weekend we walked through both of them to make the final decision. We decided to go with the 1 bedroom/1 bath apartment on the third floor, instead of the 1 bedroom/1 bath + den apartment on the first floor of a town-home apartment across the street. It was a tough decision (Ryan really liked the idea of having a den, so he could make it his Man Room) but we think we made the right one. The Man Room will just have to wait, unfortunately. The apartment we are getting has a nice little kitchen, a laundry room with washer and dryer, a dining room, living room, and a wood burning fireplace! We move in on the 12th of September, and we'll post pictures of it then. :)

Finally, last but not least, another piece of news is that Ryan and I recieved a very thoughtful gift this week in the mail: a webcam! We were so excited to get it, and plan to use it often. :) It is all set up and ready to go, so hopefully we will get to see all of the Tompkins family soon, whether you are in Tampa or in South Bend :)

No comments: